How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Atty Your Own Question
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9394
Experience:  attorney at self
Type Your Legal Question Here...
N Cal Atty is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Major help needed, im an addict and my mother wants to

Customer Question

major help needed
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: im an addict and my mother wants to commit me
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: mississippi
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: im divorced with two children I see often until now im educated
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

They have a very high burden of proof:

(1) (a) A person may be admitted to an approved public or private treatment facility for emergency care and treatment upon a decree of the chancery court accepting an application for admission thereto accompanied by the certificate of two (2) licensed physicians. The application shall be to the chancery court of the county of such person's residence and may be made by any one (1) of the following: Either certifying physician, the patient's spouse or guardian, any relative of the patient, or any other person responsible for health, safety or welfare of all or part of the citizens within said chancery court's territorial jurisdiction. The application shall state facts to support the need for immediate commitment, including factual allegations showing that the person to be committed has threatened, attempted or actually inflicted physical harm upon himself or another. The physicians' certificates shall state that they examined the person within two (2) days of the certificate date and shall set out the facts to support the physicians' conclusion that the person is an alcoholic or drug addict who has lost the power of self-control with respect to the use of alcoholic beverages or habit-forming drugs and that unless immediately committed he is likely to inflict physical harm upon himself or others. A hearing on such applications shall be heard by the chancery court in term time or in vacation, and the hearing shall be held in the presence of the person sought to be admitted unless he fail or refuse to attend. Notice of the hearing shall be given to the person sought to be admitted, as soon as practicable after the examination by the certifying physicians, and the person sought to be admitted shall have an opportunity to be represented by counsel, and shall be entitled to have compulsory process for the attendance of witnesses.


If you have not made any such threats or tried to harm anyone, they will not be able to do this.

I hope this information is helpful.