How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55313
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in florida. in February of this year I purchased

Customer Question

hello, I live in florida. in February of this year I purchased kitchen cabinets plus installation from home depot. the cabinets came damaged, and were installed poorly. I have talked to the store manager and home depot corporate offices trying to rectify the problem multiple times. they kept telling me that they would make things right, but the new cabinet doors keep coming damaged, and the last time I spoke to the store, they said they would not replace the inside cabinet parts which are damaged as well. Home depot corporate wont even respond to my voicemails anymore. New cabinet doors are on the way,(again!), and the cabinet company even came to my house and admitted they were damaged. this is taking so much time, and even takes me away from my work to let the people involved in to see my cabinets at my place. I am just so stressed out from it not being fixed and its taking so long! I feel like no one is on my side. Do I have any legal opportunities here? I didn't want it to go this way!
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Yes, you absolutely have recourse here. What you want to do is raise the stakes on him. First, get an estimate from another contractor for the cost to complete the job, including any remediation due to the substandard work done to date. Then, send Home Depot a certified, return receipt requested letter detailing the history, including the faulty workmanship, and terminate the contract and demand he pay you what it will cost you to have the other contractor finish the job properly so that in the end you pay no more than you would have paid had Home Depot done this job timely and property since you no longer have confidence in him. Inform them that if they do not comply with your demand within a short specified period of time, you will have no choice but to file a suit for your damages. BUT, be sure to specifically mention that if forced to file this suit, you will be filing this claim not only as a breach of contract case, but also as gross negligence, deceptive trade practice, and fraud causes of action, which will entitle you not only to your damages, but also an additional amount equal to multiple times your actual damages as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your suit. Even if you have to file the suit, that's likely all you will need do. In my experience, they will resolve this to your satisfaction without a hearing rather than risk punitive damages and the judgments being on the record.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Related Legal Questions