How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 20299
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Question. I got beat up by 8 family members. the law did

Customer Question

question. I got beat up by 8 family members. the law did nothing and would not take photos of me being beat up. what should I do
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 10 months ago.


Thank you for your question. You can try going straight to the local prosecutor's office and filing a complaint, and will want to have someone take photos of your injuries that are time and date verifiable. Also, of course, if you have witnesses to the event, that will help. Ultimately though it is up to the State whether or not they think that a crime occurred that they have sufficient reliable proof of the proceed. In other words, it is the State's decision whether to go forward with a criminal case. All you can do is to provide your statement and any type of evidence you have. I can't second guess why the police didn't want to proceed with the investigation. I can only tell you what your alternatives are.

If the prosecutor doesn't take your case, you can always try to get the local newspaper or television station to air your story and try to put pressure on law enforcement to take your case. But again, their choice. Finally, you can hire a personal injury attorney and file suit under tort law for the assault and battery. If the attorney believes that they have a good case (no defenses on the other side), they can take your case on a contingency basis and you would not normally have to pay any fees up front. But, that is up to the attorney.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the ratings box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 10 months ago.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 12th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit(paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.