Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am having an issue with my attorney. He is always very

Customer Question
difficult to get ahold of...
I am having an issue with my attorney. He is always very difficult to get ahold of. It takes for ever to get answers, proceedings filed, calls returned etc. Today I called him and and his phone says this caller is not taking calls at this time. What do I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
10/12/2016
Lawyer: Janine Burke,
 replied 1 year ago
Janine Burke

Hello! I'm sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your attorney. The best thing to do is discuss this issue with your attorney and let him know how you feel. If he seems like he is willing to change the situation, then give him a chance to fix the situation. If it doesn't change, you may want to change attorneys and find one who is more available for you and makes you feel like you are having your client needs met.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That just it I can't get a hold of him and I am in the middle of divorce proceedings with no progress, no income, no anything.
Lawyer: Janine Burke,
 replied 1 year ago

how long have you been unable to get in touch with your attorney? and when is the next hearing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's been at least 2 weeks and I don't have any idea about hearings because he says he is going to contact his attorney but then doesn't call me back with any information. I am always in limbo un less I get ahold of him.
Lawyer: Janine Burke,
 replied 1 year ago

You should be sure to document all the times/dates/etc that you have not been able to get in touch with your attorney and bring it up to him when you see him next. He probably is busy. Sometimes the progress of a case is due to the court taking it's time. But, what is this about him contacting HIS attorney? is he working with another attorney as well?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No he was going to contact my exes attorney to see where she might be, this separation is very messy.
Lawyer: Janine Burke,
 replied 1 year ago

ok, do you know if anything has been filed yet? if not, then this may just be the negotiation phase. How long has this been going on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It has supposably been going on for months. We separated July 2015. Then his health took a drastic turn. Now it has been a waiting game. Can you call me? I paid the charge, however it won't go there.
Lawyer: Janine Burke,
 replied 1 year ago

These matters can end up dragging on and on for years. So, you may want to just let your attorney know your expectations regarding frequency of communication so that you two are on the same page. He may be waiting on the other attorney while you are expecting answers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK thank you.
Lawyer: Janine Burke,
 replied 1 year ago

It doesn't look like it's letting me answer your phone request. Did you need substantive family law questions asked above and beyond your attorney issue?

Lawyer: Janine Burke,
 replied 1 year ago

I think your best bet is tracking down your attorney by email or phone and outlining your expectations. That's usually the best way to resolve these attorney issues.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I will figure something out. Thank you for your time.
Lawyer: Janine Burke,
 replied 1 year ago

Good luck! I know these family law cases can take a long time to be resolved, so I wish you the best and hope everything will be resolved soon. If possible, you may want to look into mediation. It is usually faster and less costly than going through the litigation process.

Janine Burke
Janine Burke
Janine Burke