How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118286
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Need to get information concerning real estate...there is a

Customer Question

Need to get information concerning real estate...there is a building located at 1401 pleasant run dr (Indianapolis) that has been vacant for 2 years. I would like to acquire it and I need to find out if the title/deed is clear.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Indiana
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: From what I found through public records the building is a church and it still incorporated...however there has be no activity for 2 years. The state had disbanded the admin, but the church is still incorporated
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My question is how can I acquire this building...
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You would need to find the registered agent for the church corporation and you will have to contact them to determine their interest in selling. The registered agent is supposed to know how to contact the administrators of the corporation if it is still incorporated and they would be the party you need to contact regarding negotiation to sell the building. Other than contacting the registered agent, you would have to check with the tax assessor to see whether or not their taxes are paid up and if they owe property taxes you can seek to acquire the property through a tax auction.
Finding out if the deed is clear, you would need to go to the property records office and you can get a copy of the deed which will have any liens recorded with the lien so you can see if someone has a claim against the property.
If there are any delinquent liens or taxes, you can negotiate with the holder of the liens to buy their liens and then you would be able to file suit in court to foreclose on those liens and seek to acquire the property through foreclosure.
Those are the only real ways you can seek to acquire the building.