How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41067
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am scheduled to have a deposition on Thursday, however I

Customer Question

I am scheduled to have a deposition on Thursday, however I have been trying to find another (replacement attorney) and have been unsuccessful. Can I ask to have the deposition rescheduled?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Illinois
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The reason for the deposition is because I missed a date that I was supposed to report something for - and I missed the date because I was in the process of finding a new attorney and didn't realize I had something due.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

Yes write or email the other side here and ask for it to be rescheduled for 30 days so you can locate new counsel.Copy the court.They should agree to work with you here.Thirty days is reasonable and the other side should grant you that.It is worth a try to delay this briefly in order to comply later on.You can locate a lawyer here in 30 days under Illinois courts and procedure.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
One other question - they are requesting copies of my personal banking records, my business banking records and the banking records for my fiancee's business - his business info, I do not have an issue with by my personal and business banking? is there anything I can do to stop that? I feel like my privacy is being violated.
Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

They can ask for this information.It doesn't have to be directly relevant but has to lead to relevant information which can lead to relevant information in other words pretty much anything.But here the finance has no relation if they are not a party so I would argue you have no control over his records or access to them and they aren't a party here.

Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

I wish you the best here.I appreciate the chance to help.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
His records are directly related and I don't have an issue with those. They are accusing me of stealing - which I did not do.
It's MY records. I am a private person and do not like idea of someone else shifting through my personal financial information.
Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

I understand but likely it is discoverable under the rules of discovery.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your help
Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

You are welcome here is the rule on scope

Supreme Court Rule 201(b)(1) establishes the basic scope of discovery in Illinois. It provides:



] party

may obtain by discovery full disclosure regarding any matter relevant to

the subject matter involved in the pending action, whether it relates to the claim or

defense of the party seeking disclosure or of any other party, including the existence,

description, nature, custody, condition, and location of any documents or tangible

things, and the identity and location of persons having knowledge of relevant facts.

If you can rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.