How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MIAMILAW1127 Your Own Question
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 755
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
MIAMILAW1127 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I married and have a marriage license in city in NYC. Ive

Customer Question

I married and have a marriage license in city hall in NYC. Ive been having problems with my wife, and Im worried about divorce and the 50/50 split process. What can I do to avoid loosing any of my assets if god forbid we went through divorce. I have property under my name, and I dont want to end up loosing half of that. Is there anything that I could do, and I might convince her to sign something before our problems escalate?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The short answer is yes. If you can convince her to sign something stating that the property will be divided in a certain way in the event of a divorce, then that will be determinative on how the property will be divided.

Unless th two of you reach some sort of agreement, the property will be divided 50/50.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not just talking about one property, Im talking about everything that I own. Is there any kind of form or process to go through that states if we get divorced nothing gets divided?
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

I understand. That is only done by contractual agreement between the parties. There is no standard form for this. It is simply an agreement between both parties as to how the property is going to be divided.