Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Miss, I have a problem getting my girlfriend released from a

Good morning miss Wilson, I...
Good morning miss Wilson, I have a problem getting my girlfriend released from a hospital in Kumasi because I don't have $3,500 to pay her hospital bill and she is indegent. Is there any way that I can execute a promisary note through the embassy to release her from the Central Memorial Hospital so that she can fly to the United States so that we can be married. I will be personally responsible for the Hospital expense, but I don't see how anything can be gained by delaying her release while the expenses keep increasing daily.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Kumasi, Ghana
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: In what manner?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. She was injured in an automobile accident and she has extensive injuries. She also has an open Airline ticket with Emirates airline that only requires a date of departure.
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/10/2016
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

I am so sorry to have to be the one to tell you but you are being targeted for an internet romance scam. The story about a person in a hospital in Ghana essentially being held hostage because of a failure to pay her bills is one of the tried and true excuses scammers use.

You'll see the lie on this list of commonly used excuses that romance scammers use to ask you their victims for money. The notion that a hospital would hold a person prisoner is also absurd. They need the bedspace like hospitals the world over. If you're not insured they bill you later.

Here's the rest of the scam profile:

- the scammer reaches out to you on a dating or social networking website and she falls in love with you at first sight.

- She moves in on you and rushes the relationship towards some kind of a commitment. She pulls you off the site where you met and tells you that she wants an exclusive relationship with you via webcam, skype, Yahoo messenger, etc. She flirts with you, seduces you and teases you sexually, especially when she is talking about gifts and money.

- And as soon as she knows that she's got you all really hot and interested, she starts asking for things or money. She wants to see you but she will need plane tickets and/or a visa, and a Declaration fee or a Basic Travel Allowance. (no such thing) But then after you've paid all that, she'll have an emergency that keeps her from getting on that plane -- a car accident on the way to the airport. A legal problem with an inheritance from her late father or mother or a problem with her job. A mugging and a trip to the hospital. A dying mother/father/sister/brother/self who can't pay hospital bills. An arrest at the airport or a problem with Customs for trying to get back home with her goods. These are just some of the most popular excuses. You can see more on the link I gave you above.

No matter what the phony excuse, however, she will say that you're her only hope to solve her problems. And all of her problems will cost you money. A lot of it. Despite that, she will never get an inch closer to boarding that plane.

- She will want the money wired via Western Union or MoneyGram, which has no protection for the sender. It's like throwing your money away.

Once she starts asking for gifts or money, You can bet that she's not who and what you think she is. She's a group of thieves, almost always men, sitting at an internet cafe somewhere overseas, working together to rob too trusting, good hearted men and women such as yourself of all of their money.

This scam can come complete with forged plane tickets, calls and medical reports from phony doctors and/or customs and immigration officials. But don't fall for it. The #1 sign of a romance fraud is the money request.

If you send her money, she'll just come up with another emergency to ask you for more. And another. And another until you catch wise or go broke, whichever happens first.

I know you'd rather believe her than me, because you think you've met the person you want to marry. But if you have photos and documents that you can upload to this thread with your reply, I can likely demonstrate what's going on so that you will see it for yourself.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Am I being scamed by your service

No. You're being scammed by your Ghanaian girlfriend.

You just paid for a phone call from JustAnswer's legal expert, but as you didn't give a phone number, other than 10 zeroes, there's no way I can comply.

If you don't want the phone call and/or if you have a site complaint, contact customer service at ***@******.*** and ask for a refund. If, on the other hand, you want to talk to me to further discuss your romance scammer in Ghana, please give me a phone number where I can reach you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did not authorize a telephone call.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As you can see I did not enter my telephone number. Please refund .

I cannot refund you. Only customer service can do that. Please contact them at***@******.*** and they will refund you for the call.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney