How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KJL LAW Your Own Question
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1361
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
Type Your Legal Question Here...
KJL LAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I return money to social security? tennessee, i don't

Customer Question

can I return money to social security?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: tennessee
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: i don't understand the question
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: my wife died three years ago and SSA started paying $500 per month to my son. He is handicapped and I am his custodian, so I received the payment as representative payee. I need to spend that money on him. Since he lives in a group home, all of his expenses are more than covered in his social security without the $500 per month. I have ha hard time spending the surplus on him. This year I intend to donate a significant amount to charity.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 9 months ago.
you can return money to social security, but if you are his custodian and legal guardian then you can keep the money and set it aside for any Infoseek needs of his that may arise in the future, which is legally acceptable.I hope this helps.