How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KJL LAW Your Own Question
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1388
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
Type Your Legal Question Here...
KJL LAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need quick "court order" for name change. I changed my

Customer Question

i need quick "court order" for name change. I changed my name when I became US citizen. I have following proofs 1, My SS card has my previous name "KUSUM" and my passport has existing name "Kay". 2, My living trust has both the names Kay alias Kusum. 3 I worked here in US as a school teacher for 15 years and ID card has both the names.4 MY Indian passport has entry stamp from US immigration which has a referance number which is the same as the one mentioned in Naturalization certificate (I can prove that when I entered US my name was Kusum as mentioned in Indian passport is the same person Kay which is in Naturalization certificate.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 9 months ago.
What state are you located?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 9 months ago.
In California the only way to legally change your name, is with the with the court by filing a Petition for Change of Name.That is a process that can take up to 3 months.The thing you need to do is to file a petition with the Superior Court in the county in which you reside.After you file you will get a court date of about 6 weeks.At the hearing you will tell the judge the reasons for the change, in your case the name discrepancies with Kay and Kusum between the passport and the social security card. At this point your legal name is Kay.After the court hearing, you will get a court order called a "decree" changing your name. After that you just need to change the name with each agency to make all of your documents read Kusum.That is the only way to change a name in California under your facts.I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I think you did not understand the question. I have already changed my name.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 9 months ago.
Please explain again what you would like to do?