David C. Garner
David C. Garner, Attorney
Experience:  JD with Distinction, Admitted to practice in California
19551178

My wife who runs a local farmers market was confronted 3

Customer Question

My wife who runs a local farmers market was confronted 3 weeks ago by a man who drove 30 mins to tell her that he had visited her websites and that because she was a yoga teacher he would not support her farmers market. He the proceeded to call her the antichrist , a witch child abuser and many other hurtful things in the sake of his religion and that she was going to burn in hell. He never once threatened her but he told her he looked at all her websites for her businesses and face book and then labeled her all these hatful things based on her profession . She has been very hurt by his words and this was all done in a public setting she has seen a counselor and is still upset is there a law that was broke or a lawsuits that could be filled I don't want him to do this to anyone els . We live in Indiana
Expert:  David C. Garner replied 9 months ago.

I will try and help. You won't like this answer, but please don't shoot the messenger.

The short answer is no, there is likely nothing you can do. Absent threats or some other form of illegal conduct, this sort of bad behavior is legal. He can express his opinion. It is not illegal to insult someone, even publically.

If people could sue over insults and upset, everyone would sue everyone all the time.

I hope she feels better. Legally though, I don't think there is anything you can do at this point.

I know this is not what you hope to hear, but that is the law as I see it.

I hope this helps.

DCG