How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27747
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently was informed by a friend that they read something

Customer Question

I recently was informed by a friend that they read something terrible about me on the internet. I checked it out and found it to be defaming and untrue and potentially very damaging to my career. Generally is this actionable and how about statute of limitations.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

In what US state was the article published?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
South Carolina
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

There's a two-year statute of limitations on defamation suits in South Carolina. Please give me a few minutes to look up your state's defamation law.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

This sounds as if you have a case from your description. To win a defamation suit in South Carolina, you would have to prove that the defendant published disparaging things about you that he knew to be untrue and which damaged your reputation.

The two lead cases in your state that discuss defamatory statements are Fleming v. Rose and Holtzscheiter v. Thomson Newspapers.

You would need to find a civil litigator (trial attorney) in general practice who handles intentional torts. If you don't know where to find such a person, you could contact the South Carolina Bar Association's Lawyer Referral service.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.