alex reese
alex reese, Attorney
Experience:  BS, MS, JD
14461494

I have a provisional patent on a product that expires

Customer Question

I have a provisional patent on a product that expires 10/17/16. I want to know much a utility patent will cost now that I already have the provisional. Is it possible to determine what is the codds are that I will be issued the utility patent? My name is*****
Expert:  alex reese replied 10 months ago.

Hello.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did get your e-mail. Thank you. ***** don't know what button to push to get your reply.

With only 11 days left you are in a very bad position to get a good utility patent on file. You will have a hard time finding a patent attorney that can drop everything and prepare the utility patent within that time frame, and the quality may suffer as well. The cost depends on the complexity of the invention and the quality of the provisional patent, but should be at least $4k. In any case I hope you already have a patent attorney otherwise you better find one in the next few days or else you will not make the deadline.

As far as the odds of getting the patent, your patent attorney MIGHT be able to tell you that but it's only a guess without a detailed review of the prior art patents (which is something you would have to pay extra for)

also, you may get charged more for a rush job like this one

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If I find a lawyer to help, should the price for an utility patent be less because I already have the provisional patent? And what can I expect to pay for the utility patent?

yes it should be less but only to the extent of the quality of the provisional patent, if the provisional patent is not good then it doesn't help and the cost will not be less. for example, if the provisional patent was not prepared by a patent attorney then most likely it is of little help and the price will not be affected much....and in that case the cost for preparation and fees will be at least $6k for most patents, and the average is around $7-8k.

and those are small law firm or solo practitioner prices, larger firms will cost much more

let me know if you need clarification. and PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO RATE ME SO THAT I GET CREDIT