How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19499
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Second opinion] - my brother passed away has no will and not

Customer Question

Second opinion] - my brother passed away has no will and not married...has two children age 34 and 15...can oldest begin corresponding with banks and social security to arrange financial matters? Example, close out bank/savings/safe deposit boxes file paperwork with social security admin to transfer benefits to younger child? Brother was 68 years old. Assets less than $10K
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.

My deepest sympathies for your loss.

The banks and and Social Security Administration will not deal with the child if there is no Court Order giving him permission to act on behalf of her father's estate. So, the child needs to file for Administration/Probate of the Estate with the local Courthouse--use the procedure for filing for a Small Estate to be appointed the Administrator of the Estate so that he can use that Order to deal with third parties like the banks and Social Security Administration.

He can obtain probate/administration of estate forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office.