Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Ive lived with someone for three years and im not on the

Customer Question
lease. now that hes looking...
ive lived with someone for three years and im not on the lease. now that hes looking at serving 10 years or more his mother came to get his things out of the apartment an told me i needed to get out . they even went to the extrme as far as touching my things an putting them out in the hall way an someone stole it. is this legal? this is my apartment not theirs
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
10/6/2016
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

they even went to the extrme as far as touching my things an putting them out in the hall way an someone stole it. is this legal? this is my apartment not theirs

.

Nope, completely illegal. They have zero legal standing to do anything related to the apartment unless they have a power of attorney for son. And even then, that doesn't give them the authority to touch your property or force you to vacate without a court order of eviction.

.

So the only way they can force you to vacate is to get a POA, then give you a 60 day written notice to vacate, and then evict through the courts..

.

As for your personal property, you would be fully within your rights to sue whoever put it outside where it was taken in small claims court because they had absolutely no right to do so.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney