How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34398
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a joint savings account with my 92 yr. old mother who

Customer Question

I have a joint savings account with my 92 yr. old mother who will be soon be in a nursing home. I did this as I have no heirs & was in poor health. How does this asset influence her ability for Minnesota General Assistance?"
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Minnesota
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Just in a Bank statement. We did this in 2003.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney and I look forward to assisting you.

For purposes of assets, jointly held checking accounts, savings accounts, certificates of deposit, savings certificate, or other time deposits, the state will consider the entire balance to belong to each person, except when the other owner is an MA applicant or enrollee, or a responsible relative whose assets you deem available. In that situation, presume ownership of equal shares. In other words, they will count it as one half your mother's and one half yours.