How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27050
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Does a city cop have the right to repeatedly continue going

Customer Question

Does a city cop have the right to repeatedly continue going on to private property, looking in all windows of the house and broke a padlock off of a tool shed looking for a man with a warrant for his arrest after being told by the co owners of the said property 9 months ago, that the man doesn't live there any more . Is there anything I can do. BTW, the warrant is a city warrant that the county says they won't pick him up on it
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 10 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 10 months ago.

If the police officer has an arrest warrant, he can come onto your property, look through your windows and conduct a search for the person. Otherwise, he cannot do so and this would be a violation of your rights.

You could report the police officer for this to his superiors, to the chief of police, to internal affairs and to your state attorney general, to get the officer investigated and sanctioned. You could also hire a civil lawyer and sue, but given the minimal damages that you have, it probably wouldn't be worth your while.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How many times is the officer allowed to keep doing this even when he's aware the man has left the state
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 10 months ago.

The fact that they he left the state doesn't mean that that he can't come back at any time. It would appear that this officer has no recent word on his whereabouts.

My sense is that he's going to keep trying to find him and that you can expect to see more of him. Again, if you feel it's an invasion of your privacy amounting to harassment, and I wouldn't blame you if you did, lodge a complaint against the officer.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 10 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.