How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Albert Marmero Your Own Question
Albert Marmero
Albert Marmero,
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 197
Experience:  Partner at Long, Marmero, & Associates, LLP
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Albert Marmero is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have recently won a judgement. How do I get the social

Customer Question

I have recently won a judgement. How do I get the social security number, bank accounts, real estate owned, etc, to collect on it? What is that specialist called and how much would be a reasonable amount to pay for those services? Thank you.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Albert Marmero replied 9 months ago.

Actually, there is no cost to this and you can do it on your own, or have an attorney. Once you have a judgment against someone, you can ask that the debtor appear in court to answer questions under oath. This is called a "debtor's examination," and you can ask the debtor questions about his or her assets or property. You can ask about things like where he or she works, how much he or she earns, bank accounts, stocks, other income sources, property and belongings, and anything else that can be used (or sold) to pay the judgment.

You can also subpoena the debtor's paycheck stubs, bank records, deeds for any property he or she owns, and similar documents that prove the existence and value of the debtor's property. At the debtor's examination, you can ask the judge to order the debtor to turn over any assets the debtor has with him or her at the time, like the cash in his or her wallet, for example.

This portion of the California courts website will provide you with the necessary forms to request a debtor's examination and/or to subpoena information.

I hope this is helpful. Please provide a rating so I receive credit for promptly responding to you. After rating, feel free to ask follow up questions. Thanks!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
As part of the lawsuit he was supposed to show. He didn't. If this were an upstanding person, I wouldn't have had to go this route. What's next?
Expert:  Albert Marmero replied 9 months ago.

If the debtor does not show up at the debtor's examination, the court will typically issue a bench warrant for the debtor's arrest.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Interesting. Do I need an attorney? What level of court are these examinations done? Does this examination have to be done in the same jurisdiction (a long way from where I now live) as the lawsuit? Is there something wrong with the judgement that makes this step necessary (I've heard the term perfecting a judgement) Is there someone I can hire to find the information so I'm not spending +2 days travel etc + preparation for this examination? Thanks.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
As part of the lawsuit I subpoenaed (sp) his bank records, employment records, etc. He didn't show. Does this examination have more teeth than a subpoena?