How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13754
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Please! this would be for NYS, not yet, no, well, my dad is

Customer Question

JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: this would be for NYS
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet, no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: well, my dad is currently being investigated by his company (Brinks) because $4,860 has gone missing from one of his trucks. I'm trying to figure out whether he might need a criminal defense lawyer or just a labor lawyer
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about what your dad is going through.

The company is very likely looking at reporting the matter to police, which means your father could get arrested - or at the very least, I would expect police to be contacting him. Therefore, he would need a criminal defense attorney. This could be charged as grand larceny in New York, a Class D felony, which while there is no minimum mandatory sentence, is punishable by jail time ranging from 2-7 years in prison.

Your father is not under any obligation, if contacted by police, to speak to someone. In fact, it's best he NOT answer any questions or put anything in writing before speaking with a criminal lawyer first.

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification
about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 11 months ago.

Was there anything I could clarify for you or did you need additional information? If so, kindly REPLY and I'll be happy to help. If you don't need any additional assistance, I would greatly appreciate if you'd take a moment to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars so that I am credited my for time and assistance. Thank you!