How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19666
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have restitution that I owe about 96,000 I'm still on

Customer Question

I have restitution that I owe about 96,000 I'm still on parole. I was paying here and there and I got into a accident had skull removed and I got backed up on bills so now it got sent to collections and they are going to garnish my wages. How can I make payments instead of them charging me ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have called many places already, and they said it's pretty bad that it got into collections they are going to garnish my wages which I cant afford. I'm willing to pay monthly but they wouldn't help me get into a payment plan since it went to collections
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are there any motions that could be filed to try to decrease the total of restitution owed since a lot of it is from aunual interest or is it possible to try and hire a lawyer to try and dismiss the restitution all together?And how would bankruptcy work in this case, could that stop them from garnishing my wages?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Could you explain a little more?

To whom do you owe the restitution?

Who are the "they" that you are trying to work with to reduce the amount due?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry it's actually California department of corrections. The CDC says it already went to collections and my employer just gave me the paperwork for the garnished wages
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a direct order to pay the victim of the case to pay the crime from 2011. I was release from prison on parole in 2014 and I'm currently on parole.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information.

Unfortunately, this debt cannot be discharged in bankruptcy.

Regrettably, since the account has been sent to collections, you have to contact the collection agency to work out a payment arrangement.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Collections is not willing to work with me, so what is my next step? Should
I hire a lawyer in my area? Everytime I call the number for collections they say they can't do anything
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information. I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Due to site problems, I was not able to respond earlier.

You may retain the services of a local Attorney who handles debt collection defense cases to assist you with the case.

You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys:

Goodluck with your case,