How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33395
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a summons to appear in court. It is from the building

Customer Question

I have a summons to appear in court.
It is from the building code department for failure to maintain property. I have been to court before over this issue.
My question is, can I hire an attorney to go to court instead of going myself?
It is in N.J. if that helps.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 9 months ago.

As a general rule, yes, an attorney can appear for these types of cases on most occasions. There is a possibility that the judge may require your presence on the "final hearing", but that is by no means for sure. I have handled many, many (close to a hundreds) of cases that are of the same degree as this one and the client never had to appear.

Occasionally you get a judge that is ornery and wants the client to be there but that is the exception and not the norm. Plus, the lawyer can tell you how your judge is about this before you hire them.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks Dwayne,
Can I enter a guilty plea and pay the fine the next day or so?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 9 months ago.

Usually so. The judge will accept your plea and just not sign the order if you pay within a day or so. If you use a lawyer then the lawyer can definitely get that worked out and they may even save you a hunk on the fine, depending on all the facts.

Usually a lawyer can pay for themselves in the time they save you and the lesser "sentence", whether it be a fine or something else.