Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
11182422

Can a husband deduct medical insurance payments he paid for

Customer Question

Can a husband deduct medical insurance payments he paid for his wife on a separate return?
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 9 months ago.

Good day, my name is Brandon. I am a licensed attorney. In this scenario, what is the husband's hypothetical filing status? Is it "married filing separately?"

If his status is "married filing separately", he would generally not be able to deduct medical insurance payments that he paid for his wife on his tax return. The "filing separately" status essentially separates the tax liabilities completely, and that extends to the deductions. This isn't to say that the wife couldn't deduct the medical insurance payments on her tax returns, but the husband would generally not be entitled to claim the payments even if he made them on her behalf. Does that make sense and have I been able to answer the question in a satisfactory way?