How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 42321
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband Mrried in 1995 and he died in 2005. upon his

Customer Question

my husband Mrried in 1995 and he died in 2005. upon his death, I learnred he had another wife in Alabama. Iwant my name chaned back to be able to get my name chang ed back the way it was befpre the marriabe
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: mississippi
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no, and ss still has listed as martin
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the driver's license people are the only one' who wat change my name
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

You will need to file petition here for a name change.You cannot get an annulment because spouse is deceased.

Here is the Petition form you file in your county family law court.

Petition for Change of Name of Adult

State of Mississippi
County of ________________Court _____________________________
Docket No. ________________________

Name of Petitioner:_____________________________In re: Change of Name of Adult

From: _____________________________
To: _______________________________

Petitioner makes the following declaration:

1. Birth Date and Place: Petitioner was born on _______________________, ______ in ________________________ [city], ________________________ [county], ________________________ [state]. A certified copy of petitioner's birth certificate is attached to this petition.

2. Birth Name: Petitioner was named ____________________________________________ at birth, and as of the date of this petition, the Petitioner has always been known by that name, with the following exceptions, if any:
[list all legal names previously held].

3. Residence: Petitioner resides at _______________________ [insert residential address] and has lived at this address for ________ [insert length of time in months or years at this address].

4. Petitioner's Parents: The father of the Petitioner is named ______________________________________________, and he resides at _____________________________________________________________________________ [insert residential address of father]. The mother of the Petitioner is named ______________________________________________, and she resides at _____________________________________________________________________________ [insert residential address of mother].

5. Reason for Name Change: Petitioner seeks to change his or her name to ______________________________________________ and offers the following reason(s) for seeking to do so:

6. Legal and Creditor Status: Petitioner does not have any outstanding judgments, has never been convicted of a crime, and is not involved in any pending legal actions.

7. Additional Declarations: In addition to the foregoing statements, the Petitioner further declares:
[insert additional declarations, if any].

NOW, THEREFORE, the Petitioner requests that the court order the Petitioner's name changed as follows:

From: ____________________________________________
To: ______________________________________________


I, ______________________________________________[name of Petitioner], affirm under penalty of perjury that I am the Petitioner in the foregoing Petition to Change Name of Adult and that all statements in this Petition are accurate to the best of my knowledge.


Petitioner's SignatureDate

Petitioner's Address, Line 1


Petitioner's Address, Line 2

Subscribed and sworn to before me on this ____ day of __________________, 20_____.


Once you file this you would get hearing date to go in front of the judge and have this granted.The orders then allow you to change your social security , driver's license, etc.

I am so sorry that you are having to go through this.It is the only way to legally change your name here.

Thanks again.