Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

CPA c corp - 70 /30 nonership. 30% owner here 5 years with

Customer Question
contract he will buy business...
CPA c corp - 70 /30 nonership. 30% owner here 5 years with contract he will buy business. Purchased 10% after two years another 20% after 4 to complete purchase in July 2016. Suddenly not purchasing going to work for his brother. Would not sign no compete this time - did on original contract. Wanted to keep his 30% in the business. He is taking clients from corp. can we subtract that income from his 30% and how unethical is this! Do we have grounds to complain to cpa board? Thanks for any help you can give us!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
10/4/2016
Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Unless your contract is explicit that he could not compete then there may not be much you can do. However if the contract committed him to purchase the shares then you could sue for breach of contract. This might force him to the table to settle and agree to forego his interest and sign the noncompete.
The only theory i might argue that he had a duty to be loyal to the company is buying and he's preaching his fiduciary duty.

Let me know if you have any additional questions otherwise a positive rating would be greatly appreciated.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer