How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thelawman2 Your Own Question
Thelawman2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1613
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Thelawman2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A friend of mine was letting me store my things in her

Customer Question

A friend of mine was letting me store my things in her storage building. She stole all of my things. What can I do?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Indiana
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I talked to a policeman she said it is between her and me. I can't get her to call me. All I want is my things back. She took her lock off when I took the storage building over and she was with me when I put my lock on. In front of witnesses she told me I could use it for as long as I needed. She cut my lock off.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I only want my things back
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Unfortunately, in these kinds of situations, the police won't get involved because it is unclear to them who actually has the right to the property. As a result, they will call it a private matter and require you to handle it on your own.

So what does this mean for you? If your friend is not going to give your things back, you will have to bring a civil suit against her in court. If the amount of the goods stolen is for less than $6,000, then you can bring a claim in small claims court which is a much easier process than regular court.

To help you get started, Indiana has a manual to help you navigate the small claims process. The manual can be found at the following link:

I hope you have found this helpful. If so, please provide positive feedback so I can get credit for my answer.

If you have any follow-up questions, feel free to let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you it did help me
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome, please provide positive feedback.

Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.

Please rate my answers 5-stars if you have found my answers helpful!