How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12363
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a civil dispute with movers over an invoice. Moved

Customer Question

I have a civil dispute with movers over an invoice. Moved from Virginia to Florida and had to leave some household items behind. Movers put items in storage and will not release unless we pay inflated bill.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. Movers cut off communication 2 weeks ago. Yesterday they threatened to sell our items to obtain remaining balance. I paid half the invoice immediately (9/18) and wanted time to review the bill. They are overcharging for man hours.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help if I can. Do you have any specific questions? I just want to make sure that I understand what legal information you are seeking. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We have known the movers for a few years. They offered to keep the items in their garage. We later found out, when we tried to hire Pods to pick up the items, that they put the items in storage. They refused to tell us where. Once we did some investigating, they became upset and sent an inflated invoice. We offered to put our credit card on the storage contract; they refused. Now they are getting charged. They send an e-mail last night that states that they will sell our items if we do not pay the remaining balance of the invoice and the storage fees.
We do not have a written contract.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How can we solve this amicably? We want to pay the remaining balance, but for the proper amount. Should we file a police report for stolen goods?
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello again.

Q: How can we solve this amicably? We want to pay the remaining balance, but for the proper amount.

A: The only way to solve this amicably is for you and the company to reach some sort of settlement or agreement as to the charges, and for you to pay those charges in return for your items. Accordingly, if I were you, I would try to open lines of communication with them, explain that you believe that the bill is inflated, and ask them how they arrived at the total amount. It's possible if you go over the detailed bill with them, that either they or you will realize a mistake, and all parties can come to an agreement as to the amount owed. If that does not happen, then you have no choice but to file a lawsuit against the company.

Q: Should we file a police report for stolen goods?

A: No, that will do you no good. The company didn't steal the items; you gave the items to the company to hold for you. To clarify, theft occurs when a person takes another person's property unlawfully. The company didn't take your items unlawfully because you gave them to the company. Accordingly, this is not a criminal case; rather, it's a civil dispute.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.