How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102584
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Well, I have a boyfriend that is on my deed with me becuase

Customer Question

Well, I have a boyfriend that is on my deed with me becuase he helped me with the down payment. Since then things have changed and he is seeing someone else (I just found out about it) Anyway after the 4th time of going through this with him. I just want to sell the house and move away to be near family. He will not discuss this issue with me. How can I sell the home or get out from under it if he will not cooperate?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in Missouri and he has a home in Illinois and has never lived at the MIssouri address, paid bills or taxes here.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: with the court no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just need to know where I stand with this
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. This is not an uncommon occurrence.

Someone in your situation can file (or threaten to file) a partition. A partition on a property is a lawsuit. The lawsuit requests that the interests of two or more individuals who share interest on the same title are severed. The Court may decide to give the property to have one of you buy out the other, or, order it sold all-together and distribute the proceeds based on percentage of ownership.

This can be costly, so perhaps the threat of this may have him agree to something fair to avoid having to go to Court which will likely simply force the same outcome, anyhow.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.