How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31672
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was in a relationship which I am no longer in and I

Customer Question

Hello I was in a relationship which I am no longer in and I cosigned for a loan that he needs to be paying and also received a bill from IRS since he did a 1099 and used my social security number the total debt is close to 9k please advice Thank you
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Cleveland, OH
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No I have just been trying to get him to make a payment and he will not respond
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this time
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello,I was in a relationship that I am no longer in and I cosigned for a 6,000 credit card that I am stuck with and when he worked using a 1099 he used my social security number and now IRS wants 2,676. Can I get help to get payments due from him on a regular basis? Thank you for your help!
Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.

If you co-signed the loan, then you are responsible for the debt just as your former boyfriend. Thus, if he doesn't pay the loan, it would be your responsibility to pay.......Also, unless you have an agreement in place whereby he agrees to repay you, then it would be legally impossible for you to require him to pay.

Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.

However, if you were defrauded or he used your name and SSN without permission, then you could get out form underneath the debt, but you'd have to file criminal charges against him in order to invalidate your responsibility.

Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.

The best result would be for you to get an agreement with him to repay you anything that you're required to pay for this debt.