Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I received a certified letter from the new jersey sandy

Customer Question
rebuild program , ihad pulled...
I received a certified letter from the new jersey sandy rebuild program , ihad pulled out of the program two years ago when they changed the original program which was they would do all the work (supply the grant use approved builders etc.) then they changed the program to the home owner was to do it all when I was in there program they had a soil test done which cost over eight thousand dollars after they changed the program I opt out ,now they sent me a bill giving me thirty days to pay the eight thousand dollars I don't have that kind of money and the program also wasa shady.moreto add if you can help
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: i received a certified letter from the new jersey sandy rebuild progam giving 30 days to pay them over$8000, two years ago they changed me from the state program where they promised to lift m home with there approved builders and pay for my accomadations for 6 to 8 weeks while they completed the work during that time the took soil samples which cost the $8000 which they are charging me with ,because they switch me and others to a grant program that they would the job, to a program that I would have to do myself I opt out of the program. there is more . please tell me what my options are
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: mew jersey
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: i don't know or i really don't know howfar this has gon since this is the only time i have heard about this since i opt out
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes ,when the state rep changed me to the new program she gave me a name to connect as an advocate he got me my ne builder and than i found out the new jersey rep who gave me the advocate was working for the builder that made me aware of some kind of collusion .
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
10/1/2016
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you opted out of the program, then legally they can make you pay for anything that was done prior to opting out. HOWEVER, if you have some evidence of fraud and self dealing on the part of the politician and the contractor, then this is ground to first report it to your state attorney general and also you can file a written objection to the debt and explain the reason you opted out of the program based on your suspected fraud between the contractor and state representative in performing the work. If the attorney general cannot resolve this and the grant program denies your appeal of the debt, then you would need to obtain a local attorney to sue the program for fraud to get out of the deal based on their breaching the contract.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney