Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My neighbor has a puppy chained up all day. The dog cries

Customer Question
and barks all day. The...
My neighbor has a puppy chained up all day. The dog cries and barks all day. The dog is new to my neighbor. He says someone dropped him off to keep. I think it is cruel to never allow a dog to run around or play. What to do?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
10/1/2016
Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me as I verify somethings for you. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

This is a form of neglect and abuse. Perhaps your neighbor is not aware but neglect of animals is a criminal offense. Under California law an owner is obligated to provide "food, water, protection from the elements, or other care normal, usual and accepted for an animal's health and well-being." Also under California law one may not leave an unattended animal tethered for more than three hours a day. (Cal. Health & Safety Code § 122335.)

Here is a link to the California Law:

https://www.animallaw.info/statutes/us/california

Your neighbor can be reported to the local humane society:

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/abuse_neglect/tips/cruelty_action.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer