Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

The house is in reverse mortgage, has been since 2008, The

Customer Question
The house is in reverse...
The house is in reverse mortgage, has been since 2008
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: The house is in the state of Colorado it has been in reverse mortgage since 2008. There are late charges for taxes and insurance on the house, and also a lien( it is unspecified at this time)from the IRS as of July of 2016. There is a threat of foreclosure because of the late taxes and insurance, but does the IRS have the authority to put a lien on the house because of unpaid taxes to them?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes, from the owner of the house and the county regarding the insurance and the real estate taxes. The lien on the IRS has not been specified, pending negotiation.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes, if the person is showing signs of dementia (undiagnosed at this time) e.g. hoarding unable to pay bills on time. refusing to allow anyone in the house including relatives. No one will assist in cleaning without a court order. How does a spouse obtain a court order for POA in the spouse's finances?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
9/30/2016
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, the IRS does have authority to place liens for unpaid taxes and those liens could prime all liens other than the primary mortgage. If there is a reverse mortgage the IRS will not place a lien typically because their lien would not prime a mortgage filed and recorded before the IRS lien.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney