How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12365
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Was wondering what legal actions I could take for my

Customer Question

hi was wondering what legal actions I could take for my situation. Sent my vehicle to a body shop and the owner hasn't replied to any of my text or calls when asking if I could see the car physically. It's been 3 months since I sent it to the shop. I tried doing a police report but every time we go the shop it is closed during regular business hours and I'm not sure what other legal options I can do.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

You can sue the shop for conversion of your vehicle. Conversion is basically the civil version of theft. While the police may (or may not, as the case may be) deal with the criminal aspect of the situation, you are free to take action yourself via the civil courts. So, you can sue, and demand that your vehicle be returned, and that you be compensated for any damages that you suffered as a result of the shop refusing to hand over your vehicle upon your request.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Would there be other ways than to sue the shop? I'm a 22 year old service member in Hawaii living pay check to pay check with living expense so high down here. I wanted to see what other ways because to my understanding I would need to hire a attorney which probably would cost a lot. Thank you
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again.

You can hire an attorney to simply send a letter to the shop which demand the return of the car. That would certainly be less expensive than suing. The letter would basically threaten a lawsuit if the letter is ignored. Most people would likely give in after getting a letter like that because they don't want to be sued.

Otherwise, the only other feasible option is the police, which you have already tried, as well as simply asking the shop yourself to voluntarily give you back your car.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The only problem with that is how would they get in contact with the shop if the guy never does show up to his shop and it's always closed.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
If the shop is literally never open, then I would do what I originally stated and sue. At the least, you could likely get a court order that allows the sheriff to break the locks and get into the building to retrieve your car.I know it's not ideal because of the cost, but that would be the legal answer.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.