Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
11182422

My ex-wife is somehow not listed as one of the guarentors

Customer Question

My ex-wife is somehow not listed as one of the guarentors for the kids hospital bill meaving me holding the bag yet she takes them to the emergency room for any reason she can . Several times she has made them wait until the clinic closes so she can take them to the ER. Knowing that i have to pay for it . Im 40,000 in debt . How can she run bills up in my name ?
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 9 months ago.

Good day, my name is Brandon. I am a licensed attorney. The first thing to recognize is that she's running up bills in the kids' names, not yours, but that doesn't change the fact that you're the one left holding the bag. Do you have an order for custody and support in effect with these children?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
its joint custody with her as the custodial parent . Im ordered to pay her child support for our two sons one of which is now 18 and in the army but im still paying support on . I am also required to keep insurance on both the boys which i do. The divorce decree says anything insurance doesnt cover we are each liable for but as it turns out i am the only guarentor

Every order is different, but it would be pretty normal if both parents are equally responsible for medical bills (not covered by insurance) of the minor children. I understand that you are the only guarantor, but does the order tell you to split the cost of medical bills?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it does but she knows how to play the system obviously . Her aunt being the clerk of court in the judges office gives her a major advantage . I say that because in court the judge flat out told me that there was no way the kids would ever live with me that kids dont need a father that im just a paycheck
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She also received the house in the divorce and is supposed to keep current on the payments which obviously she doesnt do causing even more damage to my credit which is pretty much ruined anyway

When a court orders parents to split medical bills not covered by insurance, regardless of whether a parent pays half their child's medical bills up front, that parent is still obligated to cover the cost. If the "guarantor" parent covers the entire cost of the bill up front, s/he can still collect from the other parent through a court order. I understand, in your case, that her aunt is the clerk of the court, but is anything keeping you from taking your bills and proof of payment to court and requesting an order to be reimbursed for half the costs?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She can run the bills up faster than i can pay them so i guess im screwed

Is anything keeping you from taking your bills and proof of payment to court and requesting an order to be reimbursed half the cost?