Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

A neighbor has passed, and the tenant has been given an

Customer Question

a neighbor has passed, and the tenant has been given an abandoned notice and has till 11:48 pm Sept 30 to get belongings out. Does the family have recourse to extend the notice?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Oregon
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: only a letter delivered under the door, just this morning, but was dated 3 days ago
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I dont think so.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The family would have to first contact the owner/landlord and ask for additional time to get out of the premise. If the landlord refuses, the only thing the tenant family can do is file a petition for probate in the probate court, have one of them named administrator of the tenant's affairs and then get a court order to grant them time to remove the property belonging to the deceased. That is all they can do and if not they need to get the property out by the end of the month.