How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102192
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question. I had a court case and I had a default

Customer Question

Hi I have a question. I had a court case and I had a default judement entered against a Tennant of mine that damage my residence. After the case an judement to pay money was granted. I put a lien on the tenants property as they bought a house. Now a year later there lawyer is calling me as they are going through a short sale. She's asking me to provide an itemized list of the fees for the judgement.i gave this to the court I need to provide this or is the judgment letter I have from the court filed on the person's house enough. I think it should be .
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation.

With your lien, they cannot sell. Ergo, they need your cooperation to take the lien off, which of course someone in your situation does not have to do until/unless the judgment is paid.

There is no mandate to provide an itemized list for the judgment. The judgment is the judgment - it is the sum the court ordered plus interest (if there was interest in the contract, then this controls; if not, then see HERE). If the parties are in disagreement about what is due, the Court can clarify. But there is no mandate to provide any type of statement to them about the judgment, the judgment IS the statement.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.