How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do you make your child A of the state Florida? are there

Customer Question

How do you make your child A Ward of the state Florida? are there any pdf's or links where I can find this info?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not as of yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need to know how to get started
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 10 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay, thank you
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 10 months ago.

Dear Customer,

I am not sure what your goal is in making your own child a "ward of the state" - however, the Florida guardianship laws are summarized and explained in this packet here:, and they may assist you in reaching your goal.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's basically because we have a child that needs 24/7 care and is not able to get funded by the state. He is growing bigger and stronger and unfortunately we are unable to handle him
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 10 months ago.

Dear Customer,

I am very sorry to learn of this situation. I assume that you have probably worked with your local Regional Center to get whatever care is available to you.

In many cases, placement of children only occurs when the child (less than 18) is creating a situation that is dangerous to themselves or others (the standard is pretty high for what the regional center will place though).

Other options include private placement (paying out of pocket for a home for your child - there are many private placement options, but you are going to have to be financially responsible for the placement until your child reaches 18, at which point depending on whether or not the home accepts public funding/resources, they may have to move).

Once the child reaches 18 is when the state/government is going to be able to be more proactive in placing your child.

But there isn't a mechanism to "give up" your child as a ward of the state.

Related Legal Questions