Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Thanks! I am in Michigan. I was thinking, my husband has a

Customer Question

Hi! Thanks! I am in Michigan.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I was thinking, my husband has a winery for over 44 years, and we married five years ago. If he dies I inherit something, because I am protecting him to have my stuffs as well
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Michu=igan
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Sorry, Michigan
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Absent a will to the contrary, as surviving spouse you and any children (maybe grandchildren if there are predeceased children) would share all property of the deceased. So you would get a share of his property, yes, and if he has no children/grandchildren, you would get the property as surviving spouse. It would be much better for him to put a will in place to make sure you get what he wants you to have and if you have not done a will with him yet, then he needs to do so.