Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My husband and I were made aware of allegations and threats

Customer Question

Good Morning,
My husband and I were made aware of allegations and threats that are being made towards him of a more serious nature. My husband vehemently denies the below allegations. These were two people we have just recently met. My husband was becoming good friends with Jeremy and was very leary of his girl friend Lisa after being made aware of her erratic behavior in regards ***** ***** relationship with Jeremy recently. Two of our close friends Brison and Alisha, were made to be the party responsible for delivering the message to us late last night. I would really appreciate your guidance with the below mentioned circumstances.
My husband joined one of the above mentioned friends Saturday night to have some drinks with his close friend Jeremy, who owns a boat on lake Lanier and is docked at a marina. The 3 of them proceeded to relax and enjoy their night on the boat followed by a local bar near by. After leaving the bar they returned to play card games at the boat marina. Allegedly at approximately 2:30 the estranged on again off again if you will, girl friend of the boat owner shows up to join them.
At this point Brison, my husbands close friend, decides to go to bed in the guest bedroom of the boat. Meanwhile, Jeremy, his girlfriend Lisa, and my husband continue to play cards. At approximately 3:45-4 am they decide to go to sleep for the night. Lisa and Jeremy showed my husband to the master bedroom of the boat located on the lower portion of the boat by two steep steps. Lisa and Jeremy said they always sleep on the fold out bed in the main cabin due to lack of air conditioning in the master and for my husband to leave the door open due to the lack of air circulation.
Lisa allegedly stated to Brison and Alisha last night the following events transpired between 4am and 11 am Sunday when my husband and friend Brison left the boat. She stated that at some point she felt someone behind her with a hand fondling her breasts and another on her hip. She states that when she realized it was not her boyfriend Jeremy, whom was sleeping right next to her, she startled. She stated that she did not see who it was behind her, not even a silhouette, but heard frantic footsteps back down to the bedroom area. She stated she was confused and did not want to wake up her boyfriend Jeremy at this point for reasons unknown. She claims she's knows this was my husband committing these acts.
The same morning at 11 am my husband and friend Brison woke up said their good byes to both Jeremy and Lisa who both thanked them for coming over and headed home.
On Monday Brison received a text from Jeremy stating that Brison and his girlfriend Alisha, who is my best friend and was away at a work retreat with myself during the events of this night, come over for dinner on Thursday night because both himself and Lisa had a big issue to discuss with them. Alisha and Brison demanded to move this meeting up to last night to get to the bottom of what was going on with Lisa and Jeremy. Last night is when this story was told to Alisha and Brison privately on Jeremy's boat once again. While Jeremy and Lisa delivered their alleged account of events for Saturday night/Sunday morning Brison audio recorded their conversation. During the conversation Jeremy threatens to harm my husband in several different manners and Lisa threatens to approach the situation legally or illegally, whatever she deems fit. Both Jeremy and Lisa had been drinking heavily while having this conversation from what Alisha and Brison stated. Lisa is now demanding that I personally call her before she makes her decision on how she will handle this "legally or illegally."
At this point I need to know if they actually (1) have a case against my husband since there is no actual proof and testimony on audio recording of Lisa stating she did not she who it was that she claims violated her. (2) Should I file a police report/ restraining order against Jeremy and Lisa for make harmful threats towards my husband by coming over to shoot him (3) should I actually call Lisa to discuss anything? And (4) should I proactively hire an attorney in the event that Lisa does decide to press charges?
Lisa has serious mental problems which has caused much strife in her relationship with Jeremy in the most recent months that Jeremy has facilitated to both Brison and my husband as well. She was most recently almost arrested for leaving her 10 year old son in the car to sleep while she went to a party at the same marina just a few weeks ago. She was given a warning that she could be charged with child endangerment at the time and then proceeded to drive herself and son home while heavily intoxicated.
Please help my husband and I with your knowledge and guidance through this unfortunate circumstances and allegations.
Expert:  Barrister replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney whowill try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

The key thing I see here is that, if this actually occurred, which is questionable, she has no idea who it was.. There were two people on the boat who could conceivably been the actor here. And there is zero way to know who it was.

.

Considering her erratic behavior, the best recourse here is to simply state that you are not sure what it was that happened, but your husband had nothing to do with it and leave it at that. If Jeremy wants to believe her over you and your husband, then that relationship will just terminate and that is it.

.

I don't see someone who is unstable like that reporting this to the police and if she did, I don't see them following up on it... Everyone was drinking, it was late, she passed out, though someone groped her, has no idea who it was, and wants everyone prosecuted.....that is not something the police will take seriously..

.

At this point I need to know if they actually (1) have a case against my husband since there is no actual proof and testimony on audio recording of Lisa stating she did not she who it was that she claims violated her.

.

No, not at all.

.

(2) Should I file a police report/ restraining order against Jeremy and Lisa for make harmful threats towards my husband by coming over to shoot him

.

No, that is simply drunk talk, not a serious threat.

.

(3) should I actually call Lisa to discuss anything?

.

That is the one thing I would do and simply state what I said above.

.

And (4) should I proactively hire an attorney in the event that Lisa does decide to press charges?

.

No, jumping way too far ahead of yourself here... It is very likely that absolutely nothing will come of this once it settles down.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for the advice, but based on the kinds of threats and general background of Jeremy I am hesitant to refrain from filing a restraining order. He has a history of being put in jail for fighting and at this point, even though he does not know our address, I am still very concerned.

The problem here is that he didn't actually threaten you directly... He made the comments to someone else while under the influence of alcohol... You can still try to file for a RO, but I think it is a stretch and a judge might deny it simply based on the circumstances where the threats weren't made to you and husband directly..

.

.

thanks