Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

We were approached at our home by a police officer stating

Customer Question

We were approached at our home by a police officer stating that some articles were stolen from a store and they are on video as well as a vehicle they drove off in (14 days later) I am 100% positive the person did not steal anything. We were asked in person with the accused standing next to me to both come to the police station to give a statement. What should we do? Sounds like they are fishing. We don't have money for attorney. Should we ask for trial? After all is said and done I want to countersue for defamation of character. We need response by 9/29 11:00am
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney whowill try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If no one has been charged with any crime, then you don't have to do anything and can simply refuse to talk to the police. That is your right under the law.

.

If they want to charge you with something, then you are entitled to an attorney to defend you if you can't afford your own.

.

So I see no reason for you to speak to them at all, whether they have charged you or not.. No good ever comes of speaking to the police when there are possible charges because the whole point is to get you to incriminate yourself so they have a stronger case.

.

You are jumping the gun a bit here if no one has been charged with a crime with asking about having a trial.. That comes far later down the road..

.

You can't be forced to speak to the police at all so that is the best way to keep it...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Within all of my research, that was my conclusion. The fact that we do not need to speak with the police since no-one has been charged. Would the best way to proceed be to call tomorrow and decline to give a statement? Should I ask if anyone is being charged or leave it at not giving a statement and wait to see where it goes from there?

If it were me, I would just not respond at all. If they wanted to bother to come around again and stop by, I would just then say I changed my mind and don't have anything to say and leave it at that.