Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Plz, Maryland, no, no

Customer Question
plz JA: What state are you...
plz
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Maryland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
9/29/2016
Lawyer: Brandon M., Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law

Good evening, my name is Brandon. I am a licensed attorney. What question may I answer for you this evening?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Maryland
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I purchased a car for my girlfriend to drive, its in titled in both our names. hers is first mine is second.
I paid for the car in full. She is in possession of the car. I have a key. Can I take it?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is over due on the auto insurance, I do not know if its covered
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you checking?

Not checking, just typing. Do you have any sort of agreement between the two of you regarding possession of the car?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

Is there anything of which you are aware that might give her superior right to possession, other than the fact that she just happens to have it with her right now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she has had use of it since I purchased it, but that's it

What would you estimate to be the value of the vehicle?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
4k
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
used car

How long ago was it purchased?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The end of June I think

Thank you. I understand that the title is in both of your names, but who actually put forward the money to purchase the car?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I paid all

At the time, did you intend it to be a gift?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the auto, the taxes, and tags, and insurance
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she was supposed to pay me back so no

Thank you for that information. What outcome would you like to see in this situation?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
id like to take the car back
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sell it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but in the short term just get it away from her
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i dont want to face legal action for taking the car
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i dont want the police here and me get in trouble
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thinking?

Well, based on what you've said, I can't see it being a law enforcement issue. Your name is ***** ***** title of the car, so unless you're breaking into her garage to get to it, you've described something that would normally be purely civil in nature. But even if you get the car, her name is ***** ***** the title, so (depending on how it reads on the title), you're looking at potential issues if you try to sell the car unilaterally. Have you considered suing her for the value of the car?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
or Checking?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Its sitting in a friend of hers driveway
and I can park it while I work on the selling issue
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
right now I just want posession

Ok, well, you haven't given me any reason to believe that taking possession is a legal issue. You paid for the car, your name is ***** ***** title, you don't have any sort of agreement regarding possession, and it wasn't a gift. I rarely encourage people to confront others when the result can be volatile, and I would suggest that you use the legal process to get reimbursed, but you've given me no reason to believe that taking possession would expose you to any sort of criminal or civil liability. Because the nuances of every situation are different, this information should not be relied upon as complete until consulting with an attorney in person, but I don't see a problem based on what you've said.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you

My pleasure. Was I able to answer your questions to your satisfaction?

Brandon M.
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law