Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

I won the case in SCC. and have tried several times at an

Customer Question

I won the case in SCC. and have tried several times at an additional cost of 190.00 on top on the $1090.that the court allowed. Now how do I revoke their drivers license? ,
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: NY
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not about the lincense. yes about the other things
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have never done this before so a not sure.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The loan was supposed to be paid back with their tax money in 2 months after it was given to them. It was for a car and the insurance. The court awarded me $1090.00 and I have spent over $200.00 more trying to get the money back legally . I spent $180. to garnishee his wages but he either quits or gets fired at the jobs I know of he gets.
I was told in the court papers that I could revoke their drivers license.. I have called the mvd. and they say the court has to do it and the court in Newark NY says no.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, under the current law, NY DMV would only suspend or revoke judgment debtor's driver license, if the judgment was issued as a result of the damages that resulted from a motor vehicle accident in which judgment debtor was involved.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am having compute troubler,, I did not have any accident. I loaned him the money for a car

Thank you for your follow up.

I understand that, but a driver license of the person against whom the judgment was issue can only be suspended if the judgment is based on the damages resulting from an auto accident.

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I didn't have a car accident. The court stated I had the right to revoke their motor vehicle license and registration. But I don't know how to do it
I'm having trouble with my comp. Sorry
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I will keep checking for the answer. I can't sit , so I will be checking back, Thanks Nancy *********

Expert:  Maverick replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to review, analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 9 months ago.

Can you please upload a copy of the court papers where you were told you could revoke the license?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
can I fax it to you? I am not sure how to upload it?
Expert:  Maverick replied 9 months ago.

Yes, there is a $5.00 fee for me to release my fax number so that it is released in a private setting. Please see the offer I sent and if you accept it, then I will be able to disclose my fax number in private...

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How much more money is this going to cost every time you need more information. I will try to take a picture of the courts decisions, It does state: Your right to initiate actions to recover the unpaid judgment through suspension of debtor's motor vehicle license and registration, if claim is based on the defendant's ownership or operation of a motor vehicle,
Expert:  Maverick replied 9 months ago.

Normally my document review fee is $99.00. I was trying to help you out....

Expert:  Maverick replied 9 months ago.

Here is the NY law that applies.

It states in relevant part:

the claimant's right to initiate actions to recover the unpaid judgment through suspension of debtor's motor vehicle license and registration, if claim is based on defendant's ownership or operation of a motor vehicle;

More to come....

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I thank you but every time I turn around more money is needed, What happened to the "Free advice"? all I wanted to know is how do I go about revoking his drivers license? Any ideas?
Expert:  Maverick replied 9 months ago.

Since your claim is based on a loan default and not directly on the defendant's ownership or operation of a motor vehicle, you may have a hard time getting the suspension. But, you can try. The most detail I could find on how to go about doing this is as follows:

The DMV may suspend the judgment debtor’s driver’s license and car registration until your judgment is paid. Your judgment must be for $1000 or more, and it must be unpaid for more than 15 days. Ask the Small Claims Court Clerk for more information.

Please Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is for $1090.00, and it was for a car. I guess they have a law for this but no one knows how to handle it. I'm the loser , it cost me over $200. more doing the right thing to get him to pay.
Thank you.
Expert:  Maverick replied 9 months ago.

Sorry could not be of more help. You may need to visit someone at the clerk's office in person and ask for the forms...

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
They don't know what to do either.
Expert:  Maverick replied 9 months ago.

If the clerk does not know then you can ask for a hearing with the judge by filing a motion to enforce the judgment where you ask for relief in the form of a court order issued to the dmv asking for license suspension; but to do this, you may first have to add the dmv as an interested party to the suit.