Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I was not thinking and did the same thing my Mother did when

Customer Question
she was my JA: The Fraud...
I was not thinking and did the same thing my Mother did when she was my
JA: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Fraud Examiner can help you best.
Customer: age. I answered a card sent to my wife by "The Pain Center." I ended up giving them my wife's medicare number which is my SSN. Then I realized what I had done and I am afraid I have been scammed...Now I don't know what to do. Leaving on a trip early in the morning. Do I cancel the trip?
JA: Oh, dear. I'm sure the Fraud Examiner can help you. Is there anything else the Fraud Examiner should be aware of?
Customer: No, except that I went to their "website" AFTER stupidly giving them some info and there were about 8 notations of scam with this company. Their 800 number is: 1-***-***-****. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/29/2016
Lawyer: FamilyAttorney, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
FamilyAttorney

Hello. I’m a family lawyer, former trial lawyer and appellate attorney with 36 years’ experience and also have extensive experience with landlord-tenant issues and other legal issues. I look forward to helping you today.

At the end of our discussion I’m going to ask you to rate me, okay? I’d appreciate it because this is the only way we get credit for our time here today. It is at no extra cost to you.

Please note:This is general information for educational purposes and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site. You are advised to retain your own attorney. The attorney herein is licensed in NY only.

I'm really sorry this happened. I have been scammed a few times myself and even though you and I are both astute people, it's easy to be scammed.

Would you like to have a phone call? I'd be happy to do so.

Okay, sure. I can either set up the phone call through the room or you can from your side. Either way is fine because it's the same charge.

It shows a payment failure, so that means the card didn't go through but you can check with customer service and resolve that with them. I'll send the offer to you again but wait a few minutes before you accept unless you know the card will work.

What would you like to do? Do you want to try to call again?

We can talk here if you'd like. That's up to you. I'd just like to know what you want to do.

Okay, I will be available at 10:33 pm. I can talk to you then if you'd like. Thanks.

I'm back if you'd like to talk here or on the phone. Thanks!

There's a lot you can do to take care of this issue. This doesn't have to interfere with your vacation plans but you should put some things in place asap. I'd like to discuss that with you if you are available.

Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 1 year ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney

Dear Customer,
Thank you for using our forum. My name is***** am another expert on the forum.

I am sorry to learn of this situation. I do not believe that you have to worry about any immediate theft of your property or money based only on giving your social security number away.

However, I do believe it would be prudent to take steps to protect your identity.

The FTC gives you very good tools to do this - including setting up a fraud alert with the credit bureaus and your financial institutions.

You can find these step by step instructions and learn more about protecting your identity at this government website here: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/features/feature-0014-identity-theft

You can also fight back!

Report your identity theft to the FTC here: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#&panel1-1

Only by citizens such as yourself reporting these individuals and companies are we going to be able to stop this kind of financial abuse, so please report this to the authorities. The chances of actually caching them may be small, but if you do not report them, it is zero, so if you take the time to complete the form, it can go a long way towards making a difference.

CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney