Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

My husbands student loan is going into default. A collection

Customer Question

my husbands student loan is going into default. A collection agency has sent me income sensitive papers to sign to reduce our payment. If as a spouse I sign these papers to repay the loan. Will it obligate me to pay this if he doesn't or if he should leave me in death or divorce. My student loans are separate from his and I have taken my name off any loans he has to protect myself.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
nice to meet you.

Hi! I'm going to answer your questions below, as best as I can, but please feel free to ask any follow ups or to attach the documents.

Will it obligate me to pay this if he doesn't ...?

It depends on what the papers say. You can post them here and I'll take a look as long as there aren't too many or you can go to a local attorney to review the papers.

Just signing any papers wouldn't make you responsible, there would have to be specific language in there to do that.

As to you being obligated by death or divorce, if the papers say that then you would be, otherwise the obligation will be assigned to him in the case of a divorce or will be an obligation of his estate in the event of his death.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thank you will have the papers looked at.

You're very welcome. There will be just a sentence or two to watch for but there are a zillion different ways to word it so you have to be careful. Without those sentences the lender won't be able to pursue you.