How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33928
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a subpoena in my mailbox to be a witness for a state

Customer Question

I have a subpoena in my mailbox to be a witness for a state criminal case in Florida and I do not live in Florida nor can I make the court date due to severe family and mental illness issues with my son. I am the only caregiver at home .I have called the witness line many times and no one has called me back. The court case is Tuesday. My testimony is nothing as I had no contact with the defendant.Should I write a letter to the judge?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: It's not real estate. The court case is in collier county Florida. I live in Franklin county ohio
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: ???
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: I received a subpoena in the mail. Read the first paragraph
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The whole first paragraph I typed
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Read the first paragrah
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forget it
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

If that is the only question you have, the answer is "no". People aren't supposed to contact the judge directly about anything to do with a case. It's called an ex parte communication and it is expressly against the judge's code.

If you have additional questions please ask them in this thread.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Your initial paragraph wasn't showing on my screen when I asked about your question.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.