How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was severly beaten by my kids father yrs ago I had

Customer Question

hello , I was severly beaten by my kids father yrs ago I had reconstruction to my jaw , he crumbled my roots n 100s of fractures to my jaw , I have had problems for yrs n I remarried 5 yrs later it cost over 20000 , I dropped the charges but till have the reports , I have been having problesm several rods have ent thru n punctures my sinus ,, I have to have reconstruction again it is costing 15000 , it had been since 1996,, I have so many people on my side ,, but even tho he is a multi millioneer he said he wont pay for it ,, is there anything I can do ,, ?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: when will I know something
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: indiana
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: back when it happened
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: n all the work ive had done
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 10 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 10 months ago.

Dear Customer,

I am very sorry to learn of this terrible situation.
Unfortunately, the information that I can provide you with on this general information forum is that the statute of limitations in Indiana for personal injury (including personal injury due to assault) is 2 years from the date of the injury. Given the time frame that you are looking at, it is very unlikely that you are going to be able to file a successful suit to recover funds from the defendant at this time due simply to the passage of time.

However, I do not like to tell people on an internet "Q&A" that their case is completely gone simply based on the statute of limitations - calculating this is based on much more than just identifying the number of years associated with a claim and the date of the injury, and a local attorney may be able to come up with a theory of law that would permit recovery.

While I do not see one that appears here (otherwise I would gladly share it), I would encourage you to speak to a local attorney to get a formal legal opinion based on the significant amount of damage that you suffered and the large amount of medical bills you have incurred. But based only on what you have posted here, I do not believe that a claim is going to be successful based on the statute of limitations alone.