Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have two dogs that were left in my car for five minutes

Customer Question
with windows open in a...
I have two dogs that were left in my car for five minutes with windows open in a shaddy area. The reason was my wife and I went to a Walmart Pharmacy to check wife's blood pressure and my brother was left with dogs with car on with air conditioner on. My brother have leukemia and went to the bathroom for 10 minutes. when we came out of shopping center we noticed Animal control officers at the car. The officers told us that since the car was cool and it was at 93 degrees and properly ventilated that the citation for each dog was up to $250. when my wife called to see what our options were to pay they told us that it was $450 per dog making it $900 citation. the reason for us to go to autin was to have a place to stay until our apartment was ready because previous renter had made damages to the residence and we had to wait so the only place that took dogs for the week was located in Austin.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in? PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No we have until October 5th to respond and we need help to reduce the fine or better.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: we need help please pass us throughthanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
9/27/2016
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

You should get a ticket in the mail with a court date. When you go to court, you can ask to negotiate a plea bargain with the district attorney. Often, if you agree to pay one ticket, they will dismiss the other. It's also possible that you could try to talk them down to half of the $450/ticket, or to the $250/ticket you were originally cited. The fact that you left the dogs with your brother and HE is the one who left them unattended in the car could help with negotiations. Another option is pleading not guilty and requesting a trial. You and your wife could both testify that your brother was in the car when you left, watching the dogs and that you therefore did not leave them unattended. Your brother CAN testify to that as well, but he can't be legally forced to do it. If you choose that route, the district attorney can reissue the tickets to your brother, since he was the last person to leave the car.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I live in North nowbt the citation was in Austin can have a lawyer do this for me like the ticket clinic or something equivalent to them?

It is possible to hire a lawyer to go to court for you, but if they negotiate a deal where you only pay one ticket, once you add in the lawyer's fee, it's going to be the same amount. It's very unlikely that a lawyer could get both tickets dismissed without you going to court, because you have to testify at the trial as to what happened.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No no phone call it cost to much thank you

I cannot cancel phone call requests. You may want to call customer service to let them know.

Did you have any other questions about this for me?

Did you still need help with this?

Lucy, Esq., Attorney