KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

Hippa rights have been violated. do I have the right to sue,

Customer Question

hippa rights have been violated. do I have the right to sue
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: /indiana
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the papers are from an ambulance run, they sow my social # and medical report
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 10 months ago.

Good morning.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

A little background. HIPAA is an acronym that stands for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996. HIPAA includes regulations that govern the use and release of a patient's personal health information. More relevant to the news media, HIPAA also limits the kind of information hospitals and ambulance companies can disclose regarding patients. Besides privacy standards, HIPAA creates new standards for administrative transactions and the security of individual health information.

Under HIPAA, only certain communications are restricted. HIPAA does not apply to communications required to treat patients or to information shared for operations purposes. That is under a law called 45 C.F.R. § 164.501 Since information shared by a dispatch agency is shared to treat patients and to operate effectively as a dispatch service, HIPAA most often does not apply to the communication and the workers on the ambulance and the hospital because it is used during transport. These type of disclosures are considered incidental disclosures, which HIPAA’s provisions specifically permit.

So, in summary, the law prohibits disclosure and use of your information outside of the ambulance run or treatment. Their records or use during transport or emergency care is not restricted.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 10 months ago.
Please rate the question for credit and tracking. If you do not rate the question I will not get paid for assisting you with your question. You will not be charged extra to rate the question and you can ask follow up questions after you rate the question.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 10 months ago.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 10 months ago.

If you have any additional questions please let me know.