Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Mobile operator has disabled feature of online recharging of

Customer Question
my phone without any prior...
Mobile operator has disabled feature of online recharging of my phone without any prior notification
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: MA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: they is it is for random fraud check
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: what i wanted to understand is fraud check is duty of credit card company and banks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
9/27/2016
Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

I am sorry to hear that. I would probably suggest paying off the phone carrier and then suing the bank/credit card company in small claims court for your costs that you had to pay due to their mistake.

Let me know if you have any additional questions otherwise a positive rating would be appreciated.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry you did not understood my question, it is the mobile operator who has blocked my phone number from doing online recharge and not the credit card company or the banks, What is the law when is come to fraud control measures for internet shopping? Banks and credit card companies has already number of ways of keeping eye on fraud and tracking unusual activities on various payment methods, In my case credit card company has no concern in authorizing the purchase and same credit card works everywhere else.but mobile operator is not ready to proceed with purchase and asking me ID proof and credit card copy, Why should i keep giving such proofs to make any online purchase when my credit card company has no concern in authorizing the payment and completing the purchase?I have never seen any online retails doing fraud check and block the transaction unless they get bad authorization response from credit card companies or banks.

Each company has its own fraud protection measures. And since the monthly bills are small it is not necessarily worth it for them to file a lawsuit to recover damages whenever there is nonpayment.

We can talk by phone if there is something I am missing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry you are not understanding my question.
Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 1 year ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is***** am another expert on the forum, and I hope to assist you today.

If I understand your question correctly, you have a mobile phone application that allows you to make purchases using your phone when linked to your credit card.

Your mobile phone carrier has currently blocked your number from participating in this particular application.

You are asking whether or not they have a right to do so.

The phone company can limit the use of application and data over their network (the contract is written by them, expect it to favor them). Usually these types of services are blocked when the carrier believes that there is a high risk of fraud such that they can be held liable to either merchants, card carriers, banks, or their own customers, for false charges (for example, if the particular app that you are using is one that they do not believe to be secure).

Other reasons include customers that have filed disputes over charges (I am most certainly not implying that this applies to you, I am only giving you other reasons why carriers would use this contractual right) - for example, a customer rejects several charges made on their phone, later found out to be valid charges (or perhaps not proven to be valid, but the carrier believes them to be valid - so there is a high risk of fraud associated with that account), rather than risk having future fraudulent activities, the carrier will deactivate that particular account holder's access.

However, there should be a reason that they are blocking your particular device - contacting your phone service's customer service should let you know why this particular app or feature is not being permitted on your device.

If you are unable to reach a resolution by simply calling the customer service, try sending them a formal letter (via USPS and keep a copy). Written letters (or even emails) tend to get better responses than simply verbal communications over the phone.

I hope the additional information is helpful, if you have further questions or if this does not fully address your question, please let me know and I will gladly follow up.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Its not mobile app, its their website http://www.lycamobile.us/en/ , WHATS IS THE LAW when it comes to Online shopping? can retailer block the recharge services from their websites and ask to send ID proof and credit card copy when this same credit card is working everywhere else and my credit card company is ready to authorize the payment ???

This is a contract law question (not a statute or code). The company that owns/manages the application will have a service agreement or user agreement. The user agreement will almost certainly give them the right to hold/suspend/cancel a user's purchase (recharge) services.

To determine whether or not your specific service actually does have this right - you need to read this contract (if you cannot find it on your application, you may need to visit the company's website from a computer browser, or request a copy from their customer service).

CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney