Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I received a 2848 from IRS with a handstamped signature

Customer Question

I received a 2848 from IRS with a handstamped signature (mine) with a new york reps address. I did not due this. They have my SS and cell phone
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I'm not sure, just got this Saturday
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. This is a POWER OF ATTORNEY for the IRS. This may be part of a scam and someone may be attempting to contact IRS fraudulently on your behalf. Someone in your situation needs to immediately:

1) Contact the IRS at (###) ###-#### These IRS employees are available to answer questions about identity theft and resolve any tax account issues that resulted from identity theft. They can also help you verify what has happened; and

2) If you feel that someone used your name without permission, to file a police report; and

3) Using that police report, to place either a credit alert or credit freeze on all your credit reports - see HERE.

Note that if you indeed determine that this was a fraudulent attempt, cancellation of the POA may be necessary. This is done by writing "REVOKE" across the top of the first page of the Form 2848 with a current signature and date immediately below the annotation. Then, one must mail or fax a copy of the power of attorney with the revocation annotation to the IRS. You can discuss this with the IRS agents in detail.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!