How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 32999
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been with my fiance for 13 years. Now that he is

Customer Question

I have been with my fiance for 13 years. Now that he is sick, his daughter refuses to let me see or speak to him and is keeping him at her house. Wht can I do? I want to be able to take care of him.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Is your partner able to express his wishes?

Did he give you a healthcare power of attorney?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Don't know, she won't let me speak to him. Prior to he was letting me know everything. No power of attorney, that I am aware of
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Are there other relatives or friends you can enlist to make contact or mediate the solution with the daughter?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She won't speak to them or give them any information
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.
Thank you for your patience as I type your answer.
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.
Unfortunately, a fiance does not have any special legal status and, without a POA, you will need to go to court to obtain an order of guardianship. That will be difficult if there is a blood relative who is willing to care for him.
You may get some traction by retaining an attorney and threatening to bring charges of elder abuse (it is a form of abuse to isolate an individual from family and loved ones). A threatening letter may intimidate her into allowing you to have contact.
After that, if he can express his wishes, you can work it out with him.
If the letter is not motivational you will need to make a complaint to family services.
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.
By the way, if you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys) . Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise: is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are all peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.